Thank you to everyone who ordered for Thanksgiving! We are baking over 100 pies! Ordering is now closed.
Our delicious breads are made with love from mostly-organic and local ingredients. We now use non-GMO canola oil expeller-pressed in Eastern NC, and organic powdered sugar!
We do not currently do direct retail sales from the bakery. If you want fresh bread, come by Kings Red and White, or find us at the Chapel Hill Farmer’s Market on Saturday’s. We do accept special orders for cakes and cupcakes.
Besides regular bake-sales, and our CSB subscription program, here’s where to find our bread:
- Mondays: fresh artisan loaves at Kings Red & White Market at the corner of Club & Roxboro starting at around 5 PM; whole-wheat sandwich bread and granola at Respite Cafe; whole-wheat sandwich bread and sleepless white sandwich bread on LoMo Market‘s trucks at stops around the Triangle
- Tuesdays: whole-wheat sandwich bread, sleepless white sandwich bread, and cupcakes on LoMo Market‘s trucks. Artisan bread at Kings Red & White. Bread and cupcakes out to delivery for Papa Spud’s customers.
- Fridays: fresh artisan loaves at Kings Red & White Market at the corner of Club & Roxboro starting at around noon; whole-wheat sandwich bread and granola at Respite Cafe.
- Saturdays & Sundays: Whole-wheat sandwich bread and sleepless white sandwich bread on LoMo Market‘s trucks at stops around the Triangle. Saturdays, you can usually find us at the Chapel Hill Farmers Market.
We’re now accepting orders for pies and rolls for Thanksgiving 2013. For more about what we’re baking, click here.
Para ver este formulario en español, haz clic aquí y luego cambia el idoma hasta español por hacer clic en la esquina superior derecha de la pagina.
This year, we’re especially excited about offering more kinds of pie – like vegan pecan pie, NC sweet potato, and apple streusel!
Dinner rolls ($1.50 – $8 per half-dozen)
Arranged in the shape of a flower to brighten up your table. Choose from white, 100% whole-wheat or mixed.
Classic pumpkin pie, with milk and eggs ($5 – $20 / pie)
From our fresh, home-made pumpkin puree. We use Mapleview Farm cream, milk and butter, and local eggs.
Vegan pumpkin pie with gluten-free pecan praline crust ($7 – $20 / pie)
Home-made pumpkin puree with organic coconut milk for the filling. Crust made from pecans from Southern Alternatives Agricultural Cooperative in Georgia!
Our famous vegan pecan pie ($7 – $20 / pie)
Noah worked long and hard to come up with this recipe for vegan pecan pie that has the same texture as the traditional pie. Made from a mix of pecans, including some from Southern Alternatives Agricultural Cooperative in Georgia. Contains honey.
Sweet potato pie ($5 – $20 / pie)
A classic pie made with delicious NC sweet potatoes, Mapleview cream and local eggs.
Vegan apple streusel pie ($5 – $20 / pie)
This features slices of delicious NC Rome apples, covered with a brown sugar crumble crust.
We are excited to be baking Halloween-themed cakes, cupcakes, and cookies for the first time this year. We are offering these treats the weekend before Halloween (Pickup Friday 10/25 from 5:30-6:30pm) and 1 day before (pickup Wednesday 10/30 from 5:30-6:30pm). *Note – ordering is now closed*
- Spooky spider mini-cakes
- Mummy cupcakes
- Jack-o-lantern and vampire bat sugar cookies
Pickups: Baked goods will be available for pickup at the bakery at 816 Yancey Street, Friday October 25th from 5:30-6:30pm and Wednesday October 30th from 5:30-6:30pm. The bakery is on the NE corner of Arnette and Yancey Street, with the entrance on Arnette. If you are not able to come during the designated pickup time, let us know and we may be able to make other arrangements.
The prices listed below are sliding-scale – the lowest price will cover our ingredients costs, but nothing else. The middle of the price range pays for ingredients and our labor time, and the upper end covers ingredients and labor plus allows us to grow the bakery’s vision. We want to bake for everyone and encourage you to pay whatever amount feels affordable and sustainable for you!
All of our items for this bake day are vegan and chocolate is fair trade. We use all organic flours from Lindley Mills, and many other local & organic ingredients when we can.
*Ordering is now closed, thank you!*
We know it’s not officially pi day (3/14), but we are holding a Pie Day anyway because it’s summer and pie is delicious! And, we need to bring in a little extra money to keep the bakery running smoothly this summer.
Date: Wednesday, 7/24 – pickup 5-6pm
What: We bake pies, and you can pre-order them! See below for our offerings.
Where: Pickup at Bread Uprising, 816 Yancey St, Durham NC
More info: If you have questions, please email us at breaduprising [at] resist [dot] ca or call Noah at 919-619-9935.
We are offering 9-inch and mini (6-inch) pies in the following varieties:
- Peach Mango Pie – Sliced NC Farmers’ Market peaches and fresh mangos, sweet and juicy, perfect with ice cream on a warm summer night. *Choose Vegan/GF or “Classic” (dairy/wheat)*
- Pecan Pie – We’ve been working on our recipe for this one, and it is nutty and delightfully caramely. Made with NC pecans. *Vegan/GF filling; For crust, choose Vegan/GF or “Classic” (dairy/wheat)*
- Strawberry-Ginger Bakewell Tarts – Our take on this traditional English dessert features ginger-infused strawberry filling topped with a whipped almond frangipane. *Vegan*
- Zucchini bread – Not pie, but delicious, and it’s zucchini season! We’re offering mini-loaves. Freezes well. *Dairy-free, egg-free, contains honey* [sliding scale $4-12/loaf]
About our sliding scale: For all varieties, 6-inch pies are sliding scale $4-12, 9-inch pies are sliding scale $6-18. The lowest price will cover our ingredients costs, but nothing else. The middle of the price range pays for ingredients and our labor time, and the upper end not only covers ingredients and labor but allows us to grow the bakery’s vision. We want to bake for everyone and encourage you to pay whatever amount feels affordable and sustainable for you!
Mothers Day can be a time to honor the parents and elders in our lives – our own mothers and grandmothers, other parents in our communities, and people in our queer families who play a mentoring role in our lives. For those of you who observe this day by sending gifts, we are holding a bake day. You can order some delicious treats to pick up, -OR- we will ship them directly to a recipient of your choosing! For those of you who live outside of Durham, this is a great chance to experience Bread Uprising’s delicious baked goods, or share them with a loved one.
If you’d like, here are some other ways to support the bakery this spring. In addition to ordering bread, you can also donate online.
This year, we’re baking:
- Lemon-Thyme Poundcake – a mini loaf of zesty pound cake; infused with thyme from our gardens. This is vegan and gluten-free. Sliding-scale $3-12 per cake.
- Flower-Shaped Linzer Cookies – what’s not to love about yummy shortbread cookies filled with strawberry jam. Vegan. Sliding-scale $3-12 per half-dozen.
- Artisan Olive Bread – A loaf of our delicious rosemary-olive bread, a sourdough dough filled with kalamata olives and garden rosemary. Vegan. Sliding-scale $3-12 per loaf
- Strawberry cheesecake – A rich and creamy NY-style cheesecake topped with NC strawberries and fresh strawberry glaze. Contains dairy, eggs and wheat and can be made gluten-free on request. Local pick-up only. Sliding-scale $10-30 per 8″ cake.
Ordering for this bake sale is closed!
My great-aunt used to bake these little filled, 3-cornered cookies and send them to my family when I was a child. I’ve been baking them and sending them out for many years. Last year, we baked them in a special bake day and opened ordering up to everyone – this year we are doing that again, in case you want to order some!
Fill out the form to pre-order, or just stop by the bakery this Friday evening from 5-6pm and we’ll plan to have some extra – 816 Yancey St. in Durham. We’ll have them in boxes of 8 cookies. The cookies are vegan, so they are also pareve. They’ll have poppyseed and prune fillings.
We will be here to joyfully greet you at the 816 Yancey Street, Friday February 22 from 5-6pm. The bakery is on the NE corner of Arnette and Yancey Street, with the entrance on Arnette. If you are not able to come during that time, you can pick your order up from the cabinet on our porch the next few days. Or let us know if some other option works better for you.
To order, fill out the form below:
One of our core programs is the CSB subscription program. Each week, we bake and deliver bread, muffins, and other baked goods to meet the needs of families and households throughout the Triangle. Members participate in bakery decision-making and support the bakery’s work in a number of ways, and no one is turned away for lack of money. Bread Uprising’s membership is a radical majority (at least 60%) people of color, and there is priority membership for anyone who does not have consistent access to food.
Usually, we ask people to commit to the bakery for at least an entire season. Currently there are three seasons per year (Winter/Spring, Summer, and Fall). Sign-ups for our 12th season will begin in April, 2013. However, we do accept new applications to join mid-season on a space-available basis.
If you’re interested in joining, please fill out the subscription form and return to us either via email, snail mail (to 816 Yancey Street / Durham, NC 27701), or in person.
Also, Bread Uprising is a membership organization, which means that members participate in decision-making and setting the vision/agenda for the bakery. So we ask members to participate in the bakery whatever capacity they’re excited about, and require each member household to give at least 2 hours each season of involvement (could be a clean-up or delivery shift, helping with phone calls to other members, organizing an event, helping with baking one day, participating in a leadership team, writing an article for the ‘zine, etc.).
We have priority membership for people of color and folks with food insecurity. Because of that, depending on the current membership of the bakery we sometimes have to put new applicants on a waiting list until space opens up.
Bring home some yummy Bread Uprising baked goods
to your loved ones for Valentine’s Day!
- Heart-shaped jam shortbread cookies
- Chocolate strawberry love cakes
- Gluten-free chocolate indulgence cupcakes
- Hand-rolled chocolate truffles
- Tomato-basil bread
Pickups: Baked goods will be available for pickup at the bakery at 816 Yancey Street, Wednesday, February 13 from 6-7 PM. The bakery is on the NE corner of Arnette and Yancey Street, with the entrance on Arnette. If you are not able to come during that time, you can pick your order up from the cabinet on our porch later that evening or the next day.
Prices listed below are sliding-scale. The lowest price will cover our ingredients costs, but nothing else. The middle of the price range pays for ingredients and our labor time, and the upper end not only covers ingredients and labor but allows us to grow the bakery’s vision. We want to bake for everyone and encourage you to pay whatever amount feels affordable and sustainable for you!
All items are vegan and all chocolate is fair-trade. We use all organic flours from Lindley Mills, and many other local & organic ingredients when we can.
Ordering for this bake day is now closed. Some of our Valentines Day items are also available through Thursday evening at King’s Red & White in Durham, Respite Cafe in Durham, and Lomo Market in Durham/Raleigh/Chapel Hill. Thanks!
The bakery is closed until January 2, 1013. See you in the New Year!